The End
    She takes a sip from her cafe au lait, gripping the bowl tightly with both hands. She gulps and feels the foam slowly sliding down her throat. She lifts the novel in her coffee warmed hands. She mutes all the sounds that surround her in the cafe, voices speaking of gallery openings, kisses in the air. She returns to the world of her book for one last time. As she reads, she barely remembers to breathe. She lights a cigarette to make sure she remembers to inhale occasionally. She loves the two characters in love. She feels she knows them personally. She almost cries when the woman leaves her lover and moves to America. She soaks up the words, knowing they will soon end. As if she is eating the last bite of a divine dessert, she tries to heighten her senses, prolong this moment. She reaches the final paragraph. The lover visits America many years later with his wife. He calls his beloved just to hear her voice. She answers the phone and they exchange a few sweet words. It is unclear if she is also married. The End. She reads the last paragraph one more time, wishing that her relationship with these lovers did not have to end so suddenly, so abruptly. The End. She closes the book and rests it on the table. She looks at the book, thinking of the new meaning its cover now holds. Such a different meaning from the one it had four days ago when she first picked up the novel from a Barnes and Nobles shelf. She finally ashes her cigarette, then rests it in the ashtray and sips from her coffee. All the foam has now turned to milk. She returns to the scene of the cafe visually. She glances at the chattering crowd dressed in black. She thinks of the lovers and tries to remember them as they were when they were together in Sadec.
  He watches her. He tries to make his breathing rhythm identical to hers so he can feel what she is feeling. He feels he is violating her, spying on her. She is so consumed in her book. Such innocent prey for his watching. He notices her long fingers holding a cigarette close to her mouth. He notices her distinct collarbones exposing their shape through her ribbed turtleneck. He imagines she must have some royal