Four Lessons in Kabbalah Page 2
  I take a few steps towards the center of the room and feel as if I have been lifted into air, as if gravity has decided that I am no longer worth pulling down. Herman smiles as we meet in the middle of the space, surrounded by light. He holds up his hands to show me that they are dirty with clay, thus excusing himself from a handshake.
“Hello, I am Herman. Are you here to pose for me today?” I witness his boyish voice and only now believe it is his own.
“Yes, I am a friend of Rachel’s, your babysitter. She gave me the instructions on how to get to your studio.”
“Yes, yes, of course. Come in. Before we start, I would like to let you know what I am planning on doing. Originally, I had planned on doing some drawings of you, but I’ve decided to begin a sculpture instead. I would like to know if you are available to meet for three more sessions, maybe once a week. I definitely will not be able to complete the sculpture today. But if you can’t, that’s OK, because you didn’t know of my plans, I will pay you for all your...”
“No, no” I interrupt his mumbling. “That won’t be necessary, I can come for three more sessions.”
He smiles widely. His belly smiles, too. I reciprocate. Herman walks to the sink and begins washing the clay off his hands. Attempting to overcome the sound of running water, he screeches in my direction. “...while I am getting cleaned up, you can go ahead and take off your clothes, and maybe even think of some poses.”
His words seem to travel to me like a laser. They arrive at my ears with the same intensity as he speaks them. I take off all my clothes and put them on a chair in a neat pile. I walk to the middle of the room where a low stage and some pillows are located. I feel the cool air swimming between my legs. As I walk, I notice all the female sculptures in the room. I look at them like sisters. I know I will soon join them as a monument in clay, a mini woman frozen in time.