The Tear Stopping Lab
    She stands in front of a long mirror, hanging on the back of her bedroom door. She looks at herself. She focuses on how the buttons of her gray jacket tighten the jacket around her waist. She tries to judge whether she still looks thin and sexy through her corporate-style skirt. Her mom bought her this suit after she graduated from college in the hopes that she would wear it to job interviews. She never bothered explaining to her mom her passion for techno and trance music, her dreams of DJing, manipulating and mixing electronic sounds triggering a rainbow of emotions in a throbbing crowd. She knew her mom would laugh, or worse. She’d grow concerned that her daughter was taking drugs. It has been three years since that day, and today is the first time she will wear the gray suit out of her apartment and by choice, no less. She is filled with anticipation. A honking car on the street below restores her attention to the moment. “Move on, asshole” she hears from the street. She looks at her pink Hello Kitty wristwatch: It reads 7:15 AM. She decides she has no time to retouch her makeup. She doesn’t want to risk being late. She is glad she looked at her watch. It reminded her to take it off before she leaves for her appointment. She already has her keys in her hand. On her way to the door, she jerks backwards and freezes in front of the bathroom mirror to look at herself one last time before leaving. She smiles. “What a costume” she thinks. “The things people do to hide themselves everyday.”
  She exits her apartment. She bumps into her Chinese neighbor in the stairwell. He barely recognizes her. Her red dyed dread locks are pulled back into a ponytail. She is wearing a cream-colored silk blouse with a suit skirt, stockings and elegant high-healed black shoes. He gives her an apple from his grocery bag. She says thank you, she must run, she can’t be late. She knows he doesn’t understand a word she is saying. He has probably been living in New York for a few decades, but in this bubble world of Chinatown, where their building is located. He is more secluded and remote in his world than her Lower East Side, stoned, squatting